March 9, 2008

Welcome to YWG Coffee

At the suggestion of Michael Tyas, I've fired up a new blog to document my search for good coffee in Winnipeg.

The goal right now is to evaluate the coffee establishments in Winnipeg to find where good coffee can be sipped in our fair city. I'm no expert (though I am working on getting there), but I do have an idea of what good coffee is supposed to be like, and want to share my findings with my fellow Winnipeggers with the hope that we all might enjoy a bit more good coffee.

My next post will have a list of establishments I intent to check out. There will be photos and taste and overall experience reports. I hope to have some fellow coffee lovers join me, so perhaps there will be some guest blogging as well.

Looking beyond this initial goal, I want to look at some other aspects of coffee in our city as well:

  • the types of places you can go for coffee (i.e. italian/portuguese clubs, mainstream chains, locally-owned shops, etc.)
  • local coffee roasters (there are at least 4 I can think of)
  • coffee gear
  • non-traditional coffee preparation (often ethnic: Turkish, South Indian, Vietnamese, "Icelandic", etc.)
That's the plan for now anyway. Suggestions are always welcome if you care to offer them.

2 comments:

Tessa said...

While you clearly have much coffee ground to travel before you seek out "ethnic coffees," be sure to check out Yenat on Ellice for the best Ethiopian coffee and Indochine on Corydon for the best Vietnamese.

shadling21 said...

Thanks Tessa! I'm totally going there.

What is Icelandic coffee? Wait, I'll just google it.